Friday, April 12, 2013

Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon 2013 - Part 1




I know.  What was I thinking.  I was that kid who couldn't even run the mile in high school and I signed up for a half marathon!?  I had to be crazy!  But, if I was going to run that far and actually pay money to do it, what better place than Disney World.  Where else can you dress up like a princess and run through the happiest place on earth?
I boarded the plane the morning of February 21st for the long flight from Geneva, Switzerland to Orlando, Florida. Let's just say I was happy that I upgraded to business class! I arrived about 6pm that night (midnight Swiss time), met up with my friend Linda who graciously agreed to come cheer me on (or laugh at me) and we caught the Magical Express to Port Orleans - Riverside.  Now, I have stayed at Value resorts, deluxe resorts and even villas, but I had never stayed in a moderate resort.  Most of the clients I book stay at Riverside so I decided to give it a try....but more on that in another post.
It was a quick dinner and then off to bed since I was almost a zombie at this point.
The first morning we headed to the Race Expo.  This is where we pick up our race numbers, bags, and any goodies that we want to buy.  When we pulled up to Coronado Springs where the Expo was held, there were literally thousands of people waiting in line just to get in.  I decided this could not be a good sign. Thankfully, the line moved very quickly and I think only waited 5-10 minutes.  On a side note, I ran into an old high school friend while standing in line. That was a nice surprise!
As soon as you walk in the doors, there are two footmen ready to have their pictures taken with you.  Really wanted to do this, but the line was so long!  Once we got in the Expo I picked up my packets and did a little shopping. Picking up the packet was very quick and easy and I ran into a co-worker while standing there.  It really is a Small World!   I guess this year was a little different because it was held in a different venue, but it was really crowded when you got to the shopping area!!  I wanted to get a few things from the Official Race Merchandise tent and it was awful.  First I had to wait in line to even get into the place.  That line ran into the line of people waiting to pick up their race bags.  So, it was a huge jumble of people with everyone asking "which line are you standing in".    Then you had to push your way through to even see the merchandise.   Finally, after picking up the 2 things I wanted, I waited in line about 45 minutes just to pay.  They had 13 registers open!!  After paying, you had to fight your way back through the line of people wanting to pay. Disney really needs to rethink how that was set up if they ever plan on having it there again.  I heard nothing but complaints from everyone I talked to.
After leaving the main part of the expo, we were able to sign up so my friend Linda could receive texts with my split times.  That would give her an idea of where I was so she could hop around the race course to watch me.  I was also able to sign up my Facebook page so friends at home could keep track also.  I though that was a nice added touch.
After finishing up, it was off to Hollywood Studios for the day.
I'll go into details about the parks and things we did another time, but I want to keep this to being just about the race weekend itself.
More to come about race day itself!!

My Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment