Sunday, April 14, 2013

Princess 1/2 Marathon - Race Day

3:00am is really early - especially when you're getting up to go run 13.1 miles!  However, I was up and ready to get this thing started.  I climbed into my running costume (yes costume) and headed up to catch the bus.

It was very short trip to the Epcot parking lot where the race was going to begin and end and before I knew it, I was surrounded by thousands of women , large tents, and loud music.  This was enough to get anyone energized.

An empty Epcot parking lot.
Such an energetic and fun atmosphere.

Let me say here that I paid the extra money for the Race Retreat.  I thought it might be nice to have temperature a temperature controlled tent, the chance to meet some characters, and a small breakfast.  I walked in the tent, grabbed a banana, and walked back out.  It was very crowded and the lines to meet the characters were really long.  It might have been different if I had some friends with me, but I was by myself and just didn't really get it.  

Before too long it was time to start headed to the corrals.  I had heard that it's quite a walk from the parking lot to the corrals and people weren't exaggerating, but I didn't mind it.  Gave my legs a little warm up and some time to calm my nerves.  I was in Corral E because I hadn't submitted a time before the race.  I had never run another race! This meant a lot of time waiting for the racers in front of me to start before it was my turn.  I think that was the worse part of the entire race for me.  Next time I will definitely submit a time!

Finally, after what seemed like forever, the Fairy Godmother counted down my group, the fireworks went up, and we were off! 




 Now, I have been training for this thing for over a year and wanted to do my best.  Other people in my corral had other ideas.  As the fireworks went off, they started walking.  Then there were others who would run, and then all of a sudden stop and walk.  I'm all for the walking or running/walking.  Whatever it takes as long as you're out there moving.  With that being said, I wish people would warn you when they are going to stop running.  I don't know how many people I almost ran into!

Now that I've gotten that rant out of the way, let me tell you how amazing a run Disney race is!  The entertainment along the course is so much fun.  It makes you want to keep running just so you can see what is coming up next!!




Most people will tell you that running through Cinderella's Castle is the best part of this race.  I have to disagree.  For me, it was when we ran through the Magic Kingdom parking signs.  I think that's what they're called?


I don't know why, but I just got that excited feeling that I get every time I visit Disney World!  If you don't know, the Magic Kingdom comes early in the run.  I believe around mile 5 - 6.  So, you're still feeling pretty good at this point.  It is pretty amazing running down Main Street with thousands of people cheering you on!




After getting through the Magic Kingdom, through the castle,  and then being taken behind the scenes, you end up on the road over by the Grand Floridian resorts.  This is where another large group of people are cheering. About this time, it's starting to get very humid and I start to see runners sitting on the side of the road.  I can't even begin to tell you how many people I saw like this.  But, I kept chugging along...even when the road would narrow so much that everyone started to bottleneck.  Doesn't seem very safe but I don't see how Disney can fix it unless they change the route.

The hardest part for me was at the 15K point.  It was hot, I was tired, and I had never run more than 10 miles in my training. It was amazing how many other runners would give you encouragement when they see you're starting to give up.  

Finally, the final hill was approaching.  Disney style, there was a green army man giving a little motivation to help!


Up the hill, around the corner, and there's Epcot again!!!!  I'm so excited.  My legs start to move a little faster and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  All of a sudden, I'm running next to Spaceship earth towards the lake.  Wait, why am I  running towards the lake?  The finish line is in the parking lot!  Okay, I can do this.  I think I can, I think I can.  Okay.  I've made it to the lake and they're turning me around to go back.  Woo Hoo!

After what seemed like an eternity, I can see it.  There's the finish line.  Now my legs are really starting to move.  I can hear the crowd and they're cheering for me!  Finally - I cross it!!


After a year of training, an injured back, an injured knee and physical therapy, I have crossed the finish line of my first 1/2 Marathon.  Not only that, but I did it at Disney World.  I don't think there is any greater feeling.  I walked up and collected my medal and then downed a bottle of water!

Still smiling

Beautiful medal

I couldn't believe all of the people at the first aid tent as I walked by and I was so thankful that I wasn't one of them.  I had made it injury free.  I tracked down Linda and we both decided that I needed a shower and a nap.  So, back to the bus and back to Riverside.  

So Kourtney, you've just run your first half marathon.  What are you going to do next?


If you're thinking of running your first half marathon, I would say that Disney is definitely the way to go.  I wouldn't trade the experience for anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment