Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Why use a travel agent?

I had a client tell me the other day that they decided not to use my services because they like to plan their own travel.  I think it's great that people like to plan their own travel and it's not my job to take that away from you, unless you want me to!

What does a travel agent do.  My answer to this is as little or as much as you want me to.   Some clients want me to do everything.  I send several options for hotels, tickets, dining plans and flights.  I can send pictures of hotel rooms and even layouts of the resorts.  I give personal opinions of different places I have stayed and if I haven't stayed there, I will find out what it's like from someone who has.

After a deposit is made, that is where a travel agent can really help!  I will help with all those little things you might not think of.  I can recommend fireworks cruises, dessert parties, kids clubs for your little ones, pirate and princess makeovers, and spa getaways for you.  I can give recommendations for restaurants and even make those reservations for you.  Your favorite restaurant not available?  I can continue to watch until a space opens up.  Need to know what park is best to visit on which day?  A travel agent can give you that information.  Want to order a birthday cake to be delivered for dinner?  I can do that too.  What's the best way to get from your resort to the Beach Club for an early morning breakfast reservation?  Guess what...I can tell you!

My clients all receive a document that includes all of the reservation numbers, flight times, park hours, parade and fireworks times, and even a step by step itinerary through each park if they wish.  It includes park maps with parade routes and even tips for the best places to stand.  I include important phone numbers for taxis, your hotel, and even my own number if you need anything.  And when I say anything, I mean anything.  I once had a client call me from Downtown Disney looking for a store I had recommended.  I was able to walk them right to the entrance while on the phone.

Now - a travel agent also doesn't have to do any of that.  We can simply book the trip and be done if that's what you prefer.  I have had clients call and tell me exactly what days they want to travel, what flights they want, which hotel and the tickets they prefer.  They book all of their own dining reservations and I have very little communication with them.  So, why book with a travel agent?  In this case it's all about "what happens if I have a problem"?  For example, I once had a client on a flight all ready to head to Florida...in the middle of a snow storm.  The flight was cancelled.  All flights were cancelled for 2 days.  They called me and I took care of re-booking the flight and hotel for a later date and all they had to do was explain it to their kids.  I think I had the easy part!  If they had booked on their own, they would have had to deal with the airline to try and re-schedule the flight.  Then they would have to call Disney to do the same with their package.  They took care of it all with one call to me.

So - when people ask why should I use a travel agent - I say there are many reasons but you should do it for peace of mind that a professional will be in charge of your trip, and to make your vacation as magical as it can possibly be!

My Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment